You are shifting your apartment and are thinking of a rented place where you can live. It can be overwhelming whenever you select a space to live in because there are so many options to look for and so many things you need to keep in mind. You might already have a proper understanding of what property you need and keep a list of your wants that should be considered. It would be best if you kept your needs a priority. So what are the essential tips you have to know before taking an apartment for rent? When you know where you would be studying in Australia, you can look out for Apartments for rent in Sydney, which would suit your budget and needs. There are a lot of options available.
Choose the Right Place to live in
We all understand how important it is to find a suitable house that feels like home, especially when shifting to a new area. Every apartment for rent in Melbourne varies a lot, and it would depend on the location and the type of accommodation you want to live in.
Here are some types of accommodations that you can select from:
- Private rentals
- Long-term student residencies
- Apartment accommodation
Essential Things to Keep In Mind
- The closer your accommodation is to the Central Business District, Adelaide rent in that place goes higher. It would apply as well to the accommodations which are near the campuses. It is always good to conduct extensive research when you are choosing places to live in. There might be a chance that you can find accommodation which is a little far from you might be studying.
Style of Accommodation
- The type of accommodation you select is full up to you, and it depends on your expectations and needs. If you feel like you can live with other roommates, you can share a house or go for a private rental. You can also get fully furnished houses, but that is expensive and hard to find as most apartments are unfurnished.
- When you are renting a property in Australia, you would be required to sign a legal document to make sure that you and the landlord are both protected. This contract can last up to six months, but usually, it lasts up to 12 months.
- You will be required to pay a security deposit amount which is known to be a bond. It would cover the costs of cleaning and maintenance after the tenant leaves the property. There are some important rules and regulations which govern the use of a bond, and these are necessary to abide by them.
- To know more about the right and responsibilities of tenants, you can head to the website of the Residential Tenancies Authority. This website will give you an idea of your rights and responsibilities before signing a rental lease agreement.
Before you start digging through the websites for property, to find a house to rent, there are things you need to keep in mind. The first thing you should do is make a must-have list and a nice to have list. You should include all of your necessities which you need; check out the following questions
- How many bedrooms do you need?
- How many car spaces do you need?
- Do you have a pet? Is it a pet-friendly space?
- What location/s are you willing to live in?
These are all important considerations which you need to think about.
When you are clear on what are the non-negotiables, you need to have your list of nice haves. Things that would include are:
- Gas cooking.
- Parking options for visitors.
- Other recreational things like a pool or a view.
After noting all of this down, you need to put together the documentation needed to prepare for inspections. The best thing to do is keep digital and physical copies of the documentation; so you will be prepared if you fill out anything on the day of inspection.
You can search rental properties online, which is easy; but hiring a local real estate agent is ideal. They will know your exact specification. Start forming a list of the properties you really like and then organize them according to inspection times. Don’t forget that rental properties run out efficiently; so get prepared to apply quickly. And the next thing you need to do is fill out the application form. Remember to be truthful in your application.
Inspecting the rental property
It might sound obvious to go and look at the property physically. However, many people tend to look it online, believe the images, and then fill out the application form without even checking out the place physically. So guess what! In this way, you can be fooled easily. It is a lot of fun whenever you might go for property inspections. You would wander through homes and imagine yourself there every time. You don’t need to get carried away in this process. There are a lot of things you need to think about before imagining yourself in that house.
When you are there at the property, ensure that it isn’t damaged, and if there is by any chance, note it down, take a photo of it and discuss it with your property manager. So you would not be held responsible for the same. If it needs fixing, then the manager would surely remember it. When you are inspecting, make sure to ask a lot of questions to your property agent to ensure you don’t miss out on anything important. Many Apartments for rent Adelaide are listed. Make sure to check them out.