Top 10 Small General Contractor Software Platforms To Boost Productivity
Did you know that nearly 50% of all construction firms use some form of small general contractor software to manage their field and labor-related projects?
The popularity and use of field management technologies have risen significantly over the past few years. Modern technology has produced more user-friendly and capable tools that streamline how construction projects are managed from start to finish. That’s why we’ve put together a list of the top 10 small general contractor software options that are bound to boost your productivity and, ultimately, your bottom line.
Understanding Contractor Software
Contractor management software manages many typical processes that a contractor handles from a single, centralized digital platform. Modern software runs a wide variety of tasks digitally, from allocating jobs to laborers to dealing with contracts, managing projects, inspecting buildings, and more.
Most small general contractor software is optimized for desktop computers. But many platforms are also compatible with smartphones and tablets, allowing contractors to use them while on the move.
A few of the tasks that you can manage with contractor software include:
Contractor software can assist with inviting subcontractors to view plans, conditions, and specs and to bid on projects. It gives a general contractor the ability to assess how many current bids are open and which subcontractors have responded to the bid invitations issued to them.
Construction project workflow
The software can streamline and improve every aspect of the construction process, regardless of the type of project, you’re managing. It provides a reliable and easy way to communicate with workers, subcontractors, customers, and architects. It keeps all parties updated with workflow progress, delays, and other significant developments. The right software will offer a convenient method of communication, such as instant chat, which centralizes and simplifies business-related communications.
Every contractor knows about the project closeout rush. Every member of a construction project rushes to complete tasks, file legal documents, assess project quality, finalize maintenance plans, and complete financial statements for the taxman. Modern small general contractor software helps to structure all of these actions. All while providing your team with an efficient way of recording each project’s developments separately.
Of course, contractor management software can also assist at every other key stage of the construction project development process to ensure that workflows are enhanced in every way possible.
The Benefits of Using Contractor Software
There are a myriad of benefits to using small general contractor software to boost your business’s productivity. Some of the most obvious benefits include:
- Better building safety. Contractor management software tracks defects and enables top-quality production for construction projects according to local and international laws and building codes.
- Legal and liability protection. Cloud-based software allows your team to organize, upload and update your essential business documents in a secure manner. This centralization of records keeps all of your legal data safe and ready for instant access.
- Labor safety adherence. The right software allows project managers to track tasks and working hours effortlessly and identify workers’ on-site locations. Over and above this, you can use the software to ensure that workers have the equipment and PPE they need to keep themselves safe on the job.
- Improved communication. Clear communication is at the root of every successful project. Using contractor software allows you to provide clear instructions, share documents and plans, and keep in touch with every party involved in a project to ensure meaningful collaboration at all times.
- Enhanced resource management. Are you using your talented workforce to its total capacity, and are you making the most of your subcontractors’ skills? You could reallocate resources and funds to boost better productivity. Automated software allows you to pinpoint areas of resource use that need improvement so that you can efficiently manage your team and your on-site staff with ease.
- Easier administration. General contractors handle numerous challenges daily, from tackling budget problems to generating project reports and more. Specialized small general contractor software makes it easy to access the data you need to perform accurate administrative tasks.
- Less time wastage. Contractor management software saves your team significant amounts of time by enabling you to receive and store vast amounts of data. You can make and broadcast rapid, informed decisions to your whole crew in seconds. These systems keep all the data you need in one place. Plus, they allow you to use mobile device features like photo, video, and geolocation to resolve problems remotely.
The 10 Best Small Contractor Software Programs
Hourly offers workers’ comp insurance and a payroll platform with a twist—your workers’ comp policy and payroll are synced in real-time. This takes the guesswork out of premiums, so you only pay for the coverage you’re actually using. And you can run payroll in a few minutes from wherever you are—right on your phone or from your computer. You can view labor cost reports that include workers’ comp wages and payroll taxes, so you get a super accurate bird’s eye view of your business.
The cherry on top: There’s also HR support on standby to assist with everything from compliance to hiring and termination.
2. Contractors Software Group Products
This modular contractor software platform is easy to upgrade and offers a suite of integrated construction management apps for contractors and builders alike. The suite contains four main products: scheduling, estimation, job cost accounting, and project management. It also boasts a convenient customer relationship management (CRM) module.
This software is a favorite among contractors who are looking for a cost-effective and scalable choice. It allows you to pick the tools you need and integrate additional apps and programs later down the line. Its robust CRM tools help with lead conversion and sales pipeline improvement to keep your business running smoothly and your bottom lines strong.
3. Sage 100 Contractor
Sage 100 Contractor is a popular choice for small to medium-sized contractor businesses. The contractor management program offers a simple interface, robust job costing features, and an extensive network of knowledge experts.
It boasts a range of tools to meet your project management, estimation, scheduling, payroll, and equipment management needs.
Fieldwire is another affordable and flexible small general contractor software for construction teams with a vast and dedicated following. It acts as a centralized hub that you can use to collaborate with your team, track job performance, reduce risk, and ensure ongoing worksite safety. Its many features include scheduling, reporting, task lists, messaging, and more.
The Basic plan is free for small teams and offers most of the premium solution’s core features limited to 100 sheets and three projects. The paid program provides more customization options, full Fieldwire tools and apps suite, and an easy-to-use mobile application for smartphones and tablets.
5. Spectrum from Viewpoint
This software platform’s key features include one-click access to user-specific tasks, real-time online collaboration, and a fully customizable dashboard.
Spectrum from Viewpoint is a user-friendly ERP platform that is cloud-based. It boasts a fully integrated set of tools, including construction project management, equipment, and materials management, accounting, HR and payroll, customer service, and reporting.
If you are looking for small general contractor software that supports unlimited photos, data, documents, and users, Procore may be a great option. This service offers robust construction project management and an optional financial management module.
Its other tools and features include design coordination, quality, and safety tracking, and building information modeling. The tool lets you know exactly what you need to do to stay on schedule and allows you to identify and address issues before they can delay your projects or impact your budget.
This modern, cloud-based construction management platform allows you to fulfill more projects while minimizing delays, reducing communication issues, and improving customer satisfaction.
Its key features include estimation, scheduling, client communication, document management, and compatibility with Android, iOS, and all major web browsers.
Stack has both paid and free versions of its platform to suit every contractor’s budget requirements. This solution assists general contractors in winning more bids, securing profitable projects, and collaborating with suppliers and customers during every step of the construction process.
The centralized Stack hub allows teams to work together to boost their productivity and boost company revenues in the long term. The free version offers up to 10 takeoffs and is excellent for small construction companies and startups.
This complete back-office construction software solution has been built specifically for the needs of the construction industry.
Its core features include accounting, job costing, purchase orders, subcontracts, payables, receivables, and much more. You can easily upgrade it to a fully integrated ERP system.
Ezelogs is a small general contractor software platform with numerous different packages to suit varying business needs. The app, designed to optimize project efficiency, is available on Android, iOS, and all web browsers.
It allows users to create time logs, daily logs, and safety logs. Users can analyze performance logs, project management records, and more.
The best small general contractor software will boost your construction team’s productivity and efficiency using a wide range of user-friendly, convenient, and easily accessible tools and features.
Choose one of the industry’s top 10 software options to improve your customer satisfaction levels, minimize delays and resource wastage, and maximize your profits.